Correct posture is becoming more crucial day by day and it would be a clear understatement if you deny the fact that you are already getting the consequences of doing all your daily activities in the incorrect posture. After all, the latter is more common in today’s hectic schedule where everyone hardly spares a glance at how one is sitting or sleeping.
People have the innate tendency to ignore the warning bells that go off each time they fail to notice how inappropriate their position is. We only become cautious when we get the medical reports saying that the spine pain is due to the improper way of sitting or sleeping or we come to know that we are suffering from a forward head tilt.
How to Improve Posture While Sleeping
And truly, till that time, it becomes quite late to correct the mistakes. At that time, all you can do is rely on exercises, physiotherapies, and medications. All these hazards just for what? Just because you failed to notice the slightest discomfort in your shoulder blades while you sat in a leaning position for too long.
Well, in that case, it is safe to believe that precaution is far better than cure and that had you noticed your body’s changing alignment earlier, the future medical condition would have been something else.
Keeping this in mind, let’s discuss something about how inappropriately you sleep on your mattress!
Sleeping Positions That Tends To Hamper The Mood
When you drift off into a deep slumber, you tend to ignore the way you are sleeping and that’s quite normal. After all, you aren’t habituated to noticing everything while sleeping. But, this ignorance comes at the cost of your peaceful slumber, body pains, and so on.
So let’s have a look at some of the common sleeping positions, which aren’t GOOD at all!
- Using only a pillow under the head tends to distort your body’s rear curvature. This includes the curvature of the spine and the legs with the hips and the shoulders.
- Sleeping on the stomach will cause breathing problems in a prolonged time, though not initially.
- Using a fluffy pillow and that too to an extreme quantity is extremely harmful to your neck and the shoulder region regardless of how tempting that sounds right now.
- Sleeping in a fetal position sounds too good when you are drowsy or feeling lazy. However, you aren’t at all aware of the consequences this can lead to. It’s better to wedge a soft pillow between the legs before curling up into a small ball.
- Sleeping on a mattress whose age is way more than yours is a sign of upcoming sleeping discomforts, including pain in the body as it has lost its fluffiness and has become stiff like an iron rod.
In What Ways, You Can Improve Your Sleeping Positions?
Here are some of the best ways in, which you can improve your sleeping postures and so your body posture without causing any adverse effects on your body!
- AVOID SLEEPING ON STOMACH
Many times, you sleep on your stomach, either completely putting all the pressure over the belly or partially by using a pillow as the side platform. Both ways, you are causing more harm than good to your body. sleeping on the stomach can cause strains in your spine as your backbone doesn’t remain in its neutral position. This, in turn, puts more effect on your shoulder muscles, your bones in the upper areas, especially around your neck and the thorax region. Also, you can have aching sternum or ribs if you continue to sleep on the stomach for the entire night, and that too for a prolonged time.
- TRY TO GET A GOOD MATTRESS
The quality of the mattress depends a lot as your body will form the shape according to the softness of the mattress. Don’t sleep on a too stiff mattress or on an extremely fluffy one. If you have back problems, try to buy one with average softness.
- FOCUS ON THE PILLOW YOU ARE USING
The position of the pillow, its height, its softness, and even the size of the pillow matter a lot while you are sleeping. It is best to use the pillow in the optimum position where every parameter is just. Never choose one, which is too soft as that can cause neck pain. Also, the too stiff pillow will result in stiffness.
Knowing your mistakes is one thing and knowing the remedies for them is another. To habituate yourself with the proper sleeping habits and to rectify the wrong ones is a tad bit difficult, if not impossible for you. But that’s how it works- after all, every good thing happens after hard work.